Saturday, March 14, 2009

Grace of God

Whenever I get down, one thing that can always help lift my spirits is when I remember the grace of God. We are so sinful, but He is still willing to forgive us if we come unto Him and repent. What love He must have for His children to bestow us this blessing of which we don't deserve.

One instance of when God was merciful is when He appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith in the spring of 1820. Joseph Smith had a question: he wanted to know which of all the churches was right. As he studied the Bible, he found a verse that led him to decide to ask of God which of all the churches was right. When he betook himself to prayer, God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph. I reread the account of this First Vision recently and I was overcome with tears as the Spirit bore witness to me how merciful God was to restore His church for His children. How blessed we are to have the true gospel again in the earth. It is evidence that God is merciful indeed.

I have been several times to the Sacred Grove where Joseph prayed and saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. There is a great spirit and peace present there. But this is not how I know that The First Vision happened. I have come to know that Joseph is a prophet and restored the true gospel by studying the scriptures, living the gospel, and praying to know. Anyone can come to the same knowledge if they sincerely seek for it with pure intent and faith. I would encourage any to do so who have not already. Indeed, I would challenge them too.

So whenever you get down try to remember the grace of God and how merciful He is to His children. I testify that He loves you and wants the best for you. If you come to Him you will find peace in this life and great rewards in the world to come. Please remember the grace of God.

No comments: