Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sing and be Joyful

So I work as an early morning custodian. Believe it or not, I love my job. I enjoy getting work over with in the early morning and getting the chance to contemplate my life while I work and do seemingly menial tasks. Another thing I get the chance to do is sing. Yes, I sing at work. Usually I sing hymns, like "Be Still, My Soul," "Lead, Kindly Light," "How Great Thou Art," and "Because I Have been Given Much." Then one week I didn't sing at all. I had a lot of thinking to do and had been doing that instead. Then on Friday while I was vacuuming the hallway a professor stopped me and asked, "why haven't you been singing? I've been waiting!" I had not realized that people listened to my singing, but apparently they do. So I sang for the rest of that day at work and felt so much better. You never know what you do everyday that makes a difference in other people's lives.

Another example of this became evident in my ward. Every Sunday we can write love notes to each other. I was rereading the love notes given to me since last semester and noticed a common theme: a lot of people enjoyed and appreciated how happy and full of life I was. I never before realized what an effect it had on these other people. Some of the love notes I hadn't even remembered receiving. It means a great deal to me that people appreciate how I am and it encourages me to continue being that way. I would hope that all of us would do things to help others and to notice it when others do that for us. And sing like no ones listening, because even if there is someone listening, they'll love that you are expressing your feelings. May we all find joy in each other and in being the best we can be.

No comments: