Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Was my "accident" on purpose?

I first apologize for not having updated this in such a long time (it's been almost a year!). After Pageant last year I began my most difficult semester of school I've had thus far. It was busier, more stressful, most frustrating, and most responsibility-filled than any semester I've had (which aren't too many). It left me single, sleep-deprived, and strained when it ended. Then I went home for Christmas break I experienced a most life-changing experience: I was in a head-on collision.

Head-on collisions are life-changing by design: most die, and the rest are left sustaining serious injuries. While I did fall in the latter category (obviously, as I'm here writing this today), thankfully none of my injuries were to be permanent. They included a fractured cheekbone (my cheekbone was literally pushed into my face), a divot of bone and cartilage missing from my right knee (the bone was the size of a quarter from the end of my femur), and a compound fracture in my left foot (that means it broke the skin: I had bones sticking out of my foot). They each required a certain level of healing and recovery, and some are still incompletely recovered.

With my cheekbone the face doctor went through a cut I had received on my temple and through an incision he made on the inside of my mouth and pulled the cheekbone back into place and reattached it with titanium plates. If you were wondering, no I did not go off when I went through airport security. For recovery I was only allowed to eat (or drink, rather) liquids because of the stitches on the inside of my mouth. For anyone trying to lose weight: go on a liquid diet for three weeks. Remarkably, my face did not swell up as the doctors predicted it might. I did feel numbness for a long time, but now I can feel everything and completely smile again.

With my foot I eventually had a permanent surgery on it about a week after the accident. They put some screws and a plate and a long pin in my foot to hold my bones and arch together. then it was casted, and had to remain that way for about a month. So during that time I could neither shower nor walk normally, but sponge bathed and used a wheelchair or walker. Then they removed the cast and allowed me to wear an orthopedic boot (the most expensive shoe you can buy). At first I still couldn't put weight on it, but then a few weeks later they removed the pin from my toe and allowed me to put weight on my foot! It was exciting, I could finally begin walking without assistance. Two months after that they were able to remove the hardware (the plate and screws) as my bones were able to hold without it. Now I can wear normal shoes on it and walk almost perfectly.

With my knee, they informed me that I would need a donor to replace the missing divot of bone and cartilage. They would take a donated knee joint, cut out the piece of bone that I needed and the cartilage and put them in my knee. We waited for news of a donor for six months, wondering how long I'd have to wait before we got it. Finally, a few days ago, the call came and I'm going to have the surgery in about a week's time. I am very excited to have finally received it, but sorrow that someone had to lose their life for me to benefit. However, as an organ donor I hope to make it up by helping someone once I die.

I do not pretend to know what I am supposed to learn from this whole experience. But thus far I have gained patience, renewed perspective, and persistence to achieve my goals. I hope to become more loving and kind, and to serve any and all I can in my life, as so many have served me in this process. I hope my experience can help others to find purpose in their trials, that while they don't see the end or the reasons, to know there is one and that they will come. As the Lord told Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail, "thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high;" (D&C 121:7-8). I hope we all can endure well, is my hope and prayer.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Wow. That is absolutely stunning. You are very blessed!!!!!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog